There’s a strange gift for EA for Christmas. their new battlefield, Battlefield 2042is doing so poorly a few weeks after release that Battlefield V has more players on Steam for Christmas 2021 – and that’s a game from 2018.
This is the message: on reddit a strange anomaly was discussed on Christmas Eve that 3 year old Battlefield V managed to reach more players at peak time in the US than the new Battlefield 2042 (Release 19th November 2021):
- On Friday, December 24th Battlefield V had more players on Steam than Battlefield 2042 for 7 hours, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. German time.
- The trend then surfaced again on Saturday, December 25th: Since 7:00 a.m. German time, Battlefield V has again been ahead of Battlefield 2042 in terms of player numbers.
What about Halo Infinite? Halo Infinite is also listed in the statistics as a comparative value, but many note here that Halo Infinite is often played outside of Steam as an “Xbox title”.
Everyone is talking about CoD Vanguard and Battlefield 2042, and the best shooter of 2021 is going under
Players take stats as evidence for their harsh criticism of Battlefield 2042
Why is this discussed like this? Battlefield player counts were a huge topic on the gaming reddit with over 1000 comments.
The stats are given such prominence because there are some criticisms of Battlefield 2042 that are still circulating among core Battlefield fans:
- Battlefield 2042 got a mediocre 68% (PC) on Metacritic, with the PS5 version getting an even worse 61% – but that’s just the professional review.
- The user scores are still significantly lower and range from 22% (PC) to 29% (PS5).
Among other things, the game is accused of:
- Too few weapons to offer
- The maps are not very good
- It was the “biggest disappointment of 2021”
- Battlefield 2042 is also accused of being “too commercial” and removing many standard features from old Battlefields
The stats are apparently intended to show that Battlefield 2042 is such a flop that people would rather play a 3 year old game than the new supposed crown jewel in EA’s offering.
Battlefield 5 just 75 euros cheaper than Battlefield 2042 in the “best edition”
What helps Battlefield 5? It is also important for the statistics that Battlefield V is discounted by 75% in the current Steam sale:
- The game is currently available for €14.99 in the Definite Edition.
- Battlefield 2042 costs €39.59 in the normal edition and €89.09 in the Ultimate Edition.
Something apparently went wrong with Battlefield 2042: